In the patient’s home it is advisable to maintain a relative humidity below 60%, avoiding the use of environmental humidifiers. Use dehumidifiers if necessary but with close monitoring of the device to prevent contamination.
- If air conditioning is used, clean it frequently and regularly change the water filter.
Be sure your home has adequate ventilation, including exhaust fans in bathrooms and in the kitchen. Install a bathroom exhaust fan that vents directly to the outside.
Clean mold-covered surfaces with a 1-to-10 ratio of bleach to water. Areas most frequently wet such as bathtubs, sinks and bathroom tiles should be cleaned regularly with bleach. When the house is cleaned, ventilate and dry the areas that have become wet.
Avoid formation of stains on walls or windows. If mold has entered drywall or insulation in your home, you’ll have to rip it out and replace it.
Remove mold-infested carpets and upholstery and throw away any moldy items (including clothing, books and papers).
Do not carpet bathrooms and basements.
There are anti-mould paints to prevent the growth of fungi.
Do not leave food out of the fridge for long.
Remove rubbish bags daily.
If you have indoor plants, ensure good leaves and soil, making sure there are no signs of putrefaction or fungal contamination
Outside the house, an allergic person to moulds should try to avoid:
- Being in contact with dead or decaying vegetation and infected places: basements, cellars, barns, compost piles, woodsheds and dark humid and wet areas.
- Blowing leaves that fall on the ground during autumn.
- Handling any kind of grain or entering buildings where grain, vegetables and food in general is stored.
- Walking on sunny and windy days in rural areas, especially in the harvest season.
- Having dense vegetation close to your home.